Looking for a way to keep large deposits safe? Ask us about CDARS®. It's a great solution for: businesses * nonprofit organizations * public funds managers * trustees * financial advisors * individuals * credit unions * IRAs
With CDARS, you can access FDIC protection on multi-million dollar CD investments through San Diego Private Bank. There are few guarantees in life - FDIC insurance is one of them. CDARS can be a valuable cash management or longer-term investment tool for you.1
It's one-stop shopping. With help from CDARS, you can access:
CDARS is one of the safest and smartest investment vehicles for investors looking to protect their large-dollar investments while earning CD-level returns. CDs placed through CDARS offer:
The standard FDIC insurance maximum is $250,000 per insured capacity, per bank. So, you can run around to multiple institutions to deposit your funds to receive the same coverage you can access using CDARS. Or you can place your large-dollar deposit with San Diego Private Bank – a member of the CDARS Network. Your deposit is divided into smaller amounts and placed with other CDARS Network members – each an FDIC-insured institution. Then, those member institutions issue CDs in amounts under $250,000, so that your deposit is eligible for FDIC insurance at each member bank. By working directly with one financial institution – San Diego Private Bank – you can receive insurance through many.
Funds placed through CDARS are deposited only in FDIC-insured banks. We act as custodian for your CDARS deposits, and the sub-custodian for CDARS deposits is The Bank of New York Mellon (“BNY Mellon”), the largest custodian in the world with total assets of more than $22 trillion.6
Unique to CDARS, a depositor can obtain a confirmation of records maintained by BNY Mellon as sub-custodian in order to reconcile those records with the statements received from us. At any time, as often as desired, a depositor can obtain a certified statement from BNY Mellon that confirms the exact amount of his or her CDs, including principal balance and accrued interest, for each FDIC-insured institution that issues a CD through CDARS.
You can submit a request for the certified statement, along with BNY Mellon’s processing fee, through us. BNY Mellon will send the certified statement directly to you or to another party, such as an auditor, designated by you.
When we swap deposits with other CDARS Network members on a dollar-for-dollar basis, the same amount of funds placed through the Network returns to us. As a result, the total amount of your original deposit can remain with our bank and be used for local lending. (CDARS® ReciprocalSM transactions only.)
Your account information is protected; your relationship remains between you and San Diego Private Bank.
1. Funds may be submitted for placement only after a depositor enters into the CDARS Deposit Placement Agreement with San Diego Private Bank. The agreement contains important information and conditions regarding the placement of funds by us.
2. This benefit applies to some, but not all types of CDARS transactions. Let us know if this benefit is important to you, so that we can explain the relevant terms and conditions in more detail.
3. Limits apply. Funds may be submitted for placement only after an investor enters into a CDARS Deposit Placement Agreement with our bank. This agreement contains important information and conditions regarding the placement of funds.
4. If an investor is subject to restrictions with respect to the placement of funds in depository institutions, it is the responsibility of the investor to determine whether the placement of the investor’s funds through CDARS or a particular CDARS transaction satisfies those restrictions.
5. Because deposited funds are exchanged on a dollar-for-dollar basis with other banks in the CDARS Network, our bank can use the full amount of a deposit placed through CDARS for local lending, satisfying some investors’ local investment goals/mandates. Alternatively, with an investor’s consent, our bank may choose to receive fee income instead of deposits from other banks. Under these circumstances, deposited funds would not be available for local lending.
6. As reported by BNY Mellon in December 2009. Please see www.bnymellon.com/foresight/readcounter.cfm?id=tl064&lb for details.
CDARS is a registered service mark of Promontory Interfinancial Network, LLC.